The HSES Manager will work closely with the leadership team to help grow and shape the site and provide functional HSES leadership to the operations. In partnership with leaders and employees embed a proactive safety culture. Strategically and tactically contribute to creating and maintaining a safe workplace.
The Candidate will bring their expertise and be valued for delivering the implementation and management of Health, Safety, Environment, Medical, Emergency and Security (HSES) programmes for the Motheo operation. As well as to ensure the mine meets the requirements of the Global HSEC management system. The HSES Manager must keep up to date with industry trends and implement continuous improvement in HSES performance.
Key Performance Areas
- To lead the Health, Safety, Environment and Security (HSES) function effectively for Motheo Operations, including Emergency Response preparedness and medical treatment provision on site where required.
- Ensure area of the HSES function is set up to proactively support the operation effectively and our licence to operate is not compromised.
- The primary focus of the role is to improve the health, safety and environment (sustainability) culture in which our people work and ensuring our leaders demonstrate the Company’s values.
- Manage and implement new systems and processes to remain compliant with all legislative and regulatory requirements as these evolve.
- Ensure the overarching HSES systems for employees, contractors and visitors is adhered to and site access compliance, safety reporting and strategic improvements are all proactively completed.
- Deliver accurate and detailed reports, proposals, agreements, assessments and plans as per Sandfire and the General Manager’s requirements.
- Oversee ongoing performance development and recruitment for the wider HSES team.
- Ensure high levels of communication between HSES and other departments, teamwork is promoted, and information flows freely and accurately.
- This role is responsible for ensuring our people have the appropriate skills and competency to work safely and to coach our employees to continuously improve.
- The position is also responsible for tracking our safety improvement achievements and opportunities and sharing appropriate “Best Practice” across the Company.
- Demonstrated ability to work without supervision and ability to use initiative, both independently and in a team environment.
- Contribute to and implement health and safety system design.
- Drive operational excellence and take great pride in the accuracy and presentation of your work.
- Ability to meet targets within set timelines, set priorities and plan and organise own work across a range of tasks.
- A demonstrated ability to work within a team and foster strong stakeholder relationships.
- Excellent management and leadership skills, with proven ability to bring out the best in a team.
- Ability to mentor, develop and support subordinates and peers.
- Ability to negotiate and influence through effective and positive leadership skills.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills across all levels.
- Proactive, focussed, and positive approach.
- Adaptability to changing operational situations.
- Thorough knowledge of current Department of Mines legislation and regulations with capability to lead continuous. improvement activities and embed change throughout a diverse employee workforce.
- Excellent understanding of risk management and incident investigation methodologies (ICAM preferred).
Qualifications & Experience
- Degree qualification in either Health Science, Occupational Health & Safety, Environmental Science, Risk Management, or related discipline, acquired from a reputable University.
- Recognised Incident Investigation Course (ICAM preferably)
- Experience in managing HSES reporting and site access clearance components through INX software.
- Proficient in MS Office and experience with Safety Reporting platforms highly desirable
- Valid Botswana Class B Drivers Licence is essential.
- Recent experience in a HSE Manager position within the mining or construction industry
- 10 years’ experience in a mining/construction environment, at least 5 of which has been at supervisory level.
- Familiarisation with legal requirements
- Demonstrated experience in audit, risk, and incident management.
- Contract Management, including suppliers and subcontractor experience.