Medical Emergency & Response Officer (Ref 121)
Reporting to the Occupational Safety & Health Superintendent, the Medical Emergency & Response Officer is responsible for all aspects of the of the medical facility for Motheo Mine. The position will be responsible for coordination & overseeing the daily operation of the Mine’s medical facility through provision of advanced life pre-hospital care within the protocols and standards of the health professions council. The Medical Emergency & Response Officer is part of the site emergency response team who are the first response to all mine site emergency incidents, while supporting site medical, training and HSE activities.
- Ensure that all emergency response team members are assigned duties and understand all emergency procedures.
- Work with other emergency response team members to evaluate an emergency.
- Ensure proper emergency communication, delegating needed emergency actions
- Establish status of emergency, single point contact with site
- Conduct inductions on Emergency Coordination Centre infrastructure and equipment
- Conduct inductions on the Emergency Response manuals, procedures, and checklist
- Advise personnel in any potential threat and/or initiate evacuation procedures
- Communicate and provide incident briefings to mine superiors, as appropriate
- Coordinate/complete additional internal and external notifications in liaison with the HSEC Manager
- Communicate with Emergency Response Team, as the situation demands
- Direct response and clean-up operations of spillages
- Restrict access to the incident scene and surrounding area as the situation demands
- Take any other steps necessary to minimize any threat to health and safety
- Maintain and monitor site quality standards
- Risk identification and issue resolution
- Demonstrated capacity to think strategically with expertise in complex problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills.
- Update ‘Operations Event / Notice Board’
- Be prepared to provide medical care from the very beginning to end of mission, to always have own pack all the time.
- Activate the Emergency Response team
- Appoint a Safety Representatives within shifts
- Activate additional response contractors and local resources
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills
- Able to work under high stress
- A good overall perspective of company’s business
- Good and proven leadership (man-organization) qualities
- An aptitude and commitment in managing ER
- Good influencing & negotiating skills
Qualification & Experience
- Diploma of Paramedical Science or related discipline with a professional qualification
- 5+ years’ post qualification experience within a paramedic emergency response role or equivalent
- 2 years of experience in working with emergencies
- Valid driver’s license and valid professional driver’s (PrDP) permit for transporting patients
- Must be medically fit for the position and environment.